The extensive success that we have generated in India acts as a benchmark for us to map our performance. Lapp India is our second largest company; the country is highly resourceful and there is no dearth of skills.
During an exclusive Interface with Jigar Patel. Excerpts...
Richard Lee, CEO, Asia Pacific at LAPP GROUP and acting
Managing Director of LAPP INDIA Pvt. Ltd
LAPP India has expanded considerable market share, and reliable brand in Cables, Connectors, Cable Glands, Conduits and Accessories, please brief its voyage from the beginning and share some of its milestone.
Established in Bangalore in 1996, LAPP INDIA Pvt. Ltd. is a 100 per cent subsidiary of the LAPP GROUP and produces more than 1, 00,000 km of ÖLFLEX® connecting and control cables and insulated single cores a year. Lapp India operates through regional marketing units in Delhi, Kolkata, Mumbai, Pune, Bangalore and Chennai with 23 sales offices and a strong network of 100+ dealers throughout the country. To scale-up capacity, Lapp India is expanding its footprint with the manufacturing unit in Bhopal. Phase 1 of this second manufacturing plant in India was completed by November 2012. Having attracted an investment of over Rs.1500 million, the Bhopal plant will be well-equipped to meet the logistical requirements of the Northern and Eastern parts of India and cater to increased demand across India.
Also, we, at LAPP INDIA are gearing up to meet India's growing domestic needs. In view of this, since the Bangalore plant is nearing its full capacity, the plan is to invest in expansion of this plant. Also, we are planning on making India the hub for marketing the company's products in the SAARC region.
Our state-of-the-art infrastructure in manufacturing facilities and adherence to highest safety standards has earned our manufacturing plant in Bhopal an ISO 9001: 2008 certification on March 22, 2013, recommended by TUV India, VDE and IEC certification for HO5-VK and HO7-VK for a range up to 6sqmm and IS 694 extension certification for producing FRLS wires up to 6 sqmm. In addition to this, Bangalore plant has been awarded IEC certification for HO5-VK and HO7-VK for a range up to 240sqmm. This is definitely a motivation that we have to harness to achieve our present and future goals.
Which are the products that LAPP market in India?
LAPP has a vast range of around 40,000 products which includes glands and connectors so that it is not just about cables but everything around them too. A pioneer in the concept of “Total solution in electrical connectivity” in India we have an unbeatable range of products. A few of our flagship products are:
• ÖLFLEX®, universal cable used in control applications - besides being the first multi core cable to be manufactured in the world, these cables are suitable for 3 axis rotation applications and also for applications with very high linear bending stress. ÖLFLEX®, FD cables can resist 8-10 million bending cycles of operation. ÖLFLEX® cables are the only choice when it comes to machine tool applications as these are oil and chemical resistant. Just to add on, this world renowned cable recently celebrated 50 great years of success.
• UNITRONIC®, data transmission devices- is highly effective in avoiding leakage of signals during Data Transmission. This is achieved by using tinned copper braiding as a screening material against EMI interference. This is the brand of choice if you want fast, safe and forward-thinking solutions for transferring data. The range includes data cables for all electronic applications, from tiny cables in coffee machines to those transferring huge amounts of data in supercomputers.
• HITRONIC® fibre optic cables are designed to transfer large volumes of data. Communications media via fibre optics are fast, efficient, and secure. Not even electromagnetic interference can affect HITRONIC® fibre optic cable. The HITRONIC® range of products includes cables for office communications, industrial applications, simplex, duplex, hybrid wiring, or cable chain applications.
• ETHERLINE® Ethernet technology-based networks are playing an increasingly important role. We therefore offer reliable system solutions for network technology. The range includes products, software solutions and services for total security and availability.
• SKINTOP® cable glands guarantee secure connections every time. Simply thread the cable and twist. That's all! Your cables are perfectly centered, secured, hermetically sealed, and ready for action. Choose from a wide range of models in plastic or brass, for EX and EMC applications, halogen-free types or anti-kink protection, metric, PG or NPT.
• EPIC® connectors- are used in multiple terminations (no. of wires to be connected), can effectively withstand harsh and dusty environment. It can take up to 216 pins in one connector and has a configuration range of 4 -216 pins. You will find EPIC® rectangular or circular connectors in any machine and plant engineering or drive technology application used for measuring, control, regulation or drive. It is a flexible system consisting of casings, inserts, contacts and accessories which is perfectly suited to any requirement.
• SILVYN® conduit and SKINTOP® glad – This universal range completely protects cables against dust, moisture and technical, thermal or chemical exposure. they are specially designed to suit underwater pressures at 5 bar with no seepage upto 50 meters below surface level. Further they are made of polyamide which is crush resistant, flame retardant and halogen free. In many applications cables have to be additionally protected against mechanical and chemical stress. For this type of application, Lapp Group can supply the universal SILVYN® protective cable conduit program. Cable conduits manufactured from metal or plastic material, which can be used with matching glands to form a perfect system connection. The complete system results in all round protection for cables in indoor and outdoor installations. With SILVYN® CHAIN, Lapp Group's widely variable programme of power chains we offer both cable protection and guidance for highly dynamic applications.
• FLEXIMAR® These sophisticated systems facilitate durable cable marking and ensure everything is clear and quick to identify. From simple inscriptions, to labelling and marking solutions for manual marking right through to FL SOFT software for electronic recognition, this range can meet your every need. This variant is suitable for a variety of applications for cable and individual core marking and control cabinet markings. It is available in a plastic or stainless steel finish. Additionally, it is also suitable for environments under chemical, thermal or mechanical stress. Significant quality of these systems is that they are transparent, elastic or halogen-free.
How 'Emerging Industrial Automation and Information Technologies (IT) for Power Industry Growth' the international conference/ event of CPRI and ISA Bangalore India section will help LAPP India to show their presentation?
Lapp India recognizes the enormous growth potential in Industrial Automation as more and more manufacturing processes are getting automated. Industrial automation equipment drives a country's GDP and the Indian story is no different. Investments in Oil and Gas, Fertilizer, Petrochemical and Cement sectors will boost a big segment of the automation industry.
Lapp India showcased a variety of products for the various components of a typical industrial automation system. The focus was on UNITRONIC® S/A cable with M12 connectors for field level devices, UNITRONIC® Devicenet® Thick+ Thin Cables for CAN Techonology for control network. Lapp India also showcased ÖLFLEX® Robot cables for automated handling equipment, plant engineering, machine tools and multi axis articulated robots. UNITRONIC® Bus cables for communication at Sensor / Actuator level, for fixed installation as well as occasional flexing at free non-continuously recurring movement without tensile load applications was showcased.
Some of the participating companies are listed below
b. Yokogawa India Ltd
c. Honeywell Technology Solution
d. Webb India etc.
What are the key attributes/benefits of the company's product range?
We believe in offering unbeatable quality because we use pure copper wire and there are no compromises made in terms of raw material inputs. Lapp cables are globally certified; most of our cables are in conformity with the global VDE and IEC standards. Our products reflect the international standards in Indian market. High efficiency and sustainability are the key attributes of our products. We ensure world class technology that our customers benefit from our world class technology.
Could you please tell us which are the major industry segments that LAPP has been catering to in present scenario, and which industry has the maximum potential for you in the near future?
LAPP cabling solutions cater to diverse sectors, our cables are highly popular in the machine tool industry, automobile sectors and our flagship product ÖLFLEX® is popular across the industries. Further, Renewable (solar and wind) and Building Connectivity Solutions are a significant focus area for us in the present scenario.. We are closely observing the sectors, be it rail, energy, utility, on the basis of which we are developing or procuring products that can serve the needs of respective sectors.
Building Connectivity Solutions (BCS) division is currently a key focus for us at LAPP INDIA, in view of the huge market opportunity identified in this segment.
LAPP Group focus on ramping up engineering operations and developments in India, please brief us LAPP growth plans, initiatives and strategies.
The extensive success that we have generated in India acts as a benchmark for us to map our performance. Lapp India is our second largest company; the country is highly resourceful and there is no dearth of skills. The growth in India sets an example for our business in other countries worldwide. It will help us understand how well we are performing and accordingly enable us to plan our strategies when we internationalise the business further in other countries.
The Building Connectivity Solutions (BCS) division is currently a key focus for us at LAPP INDIA, in view of the huge market opportunity identified in this segment. Keeping this is in mind, LAPP INDIA has recently inaugurated phase one of its second cable manufacturing facility located in Bhopal, which will produce 1,000 kms of single core wires daily, catering mainly to the BCS segment. The Bhopal plant has been divided into four phases and will be completed over a period of 5 years, post which it will become LAPP GROUP's largest facility globally. As a result of this, LAPP INDIA, being the second largest segment within the LAPP family, is well poised to become the biggest player in the LAPP GROUP in a few years time.
Also, with the state-of-the art manufacturing facility in Jigani, Bangalore nearing its full capacity we plan to invest in expansion of the Bangalore plant. This will help us gear up to meet India's growing domestic needs.
At large, LAPP cables are well accepted in the machine tool industry, automobile sectors and our flagship product ÖLFLEX® is popular across the industries. Further, we are increasing capacity to focus on verticals like renewable (solar and wind), Building Connectivity Solutions and instrumentation cables for process industries. Also, with cables being a key component of solar panels and modules, and huge Government thrust and subsidies for solar energy being offered, this sector has huge business potential for us. While the Government has given out licences for lot of megawatt of solar energy, only a fraction of that has been deployed. However, now with States such as Gujarat, Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh and Rajasthan moving forward to deploy solar power plants, there is lot of scope for LAPP INDIA in the domestic market. Further the tier-II and III cities have been developing vigorously and we have been witnessing good demand from these regions. Hence we are focusing our efforts on exploring the market potential in these regions by educating buyers about the significance of quality products as opposed to the low-priced sub-standard products.
In terms of one of our recent initiatives, Lapp India kicked off a Sales Effectiveness Program that equips sales leadership and sellers with supreme skills in managing sales, managing customers, managing their success and gives an edge to their profits. Also, we conducted an interesting customer survey that gave us a clear view of our performance and helped us map where we stand in terms of customer satisfaction. We have embarked on augmenting our customer service and the way we respond to customer requirements. Additionally, we have introduced a single hotline for customers to get in touch nationally. We are learning how to improve ways to respond to customer requirements across the globe.
Please brief us about LAPP' pan India and global reach & what are the global alliances that have been made in order to out-front the competition?
Headquartered in Stuttgart, Germany, the Lapp Group is a leading supplier of integrated wire, cabling and connector products and solutions. Its offering includes electrical and fibre optic cables, industrial plug-in and screw connectors, cabling solutions, automation technology and technical accessories. Lapp Group's core markets are in the mechanical and plant engineering and electronics manufacturing sectors, with rapid market expansion in the renewable energy, mobility and life science industries. Lapp Group has remained in continuous family ownership since it was founded in 1959. In the 2011/12 financial year, it recorded total consolidated sales of 860 million euros. It employs some 3,150 people, operates 17 production sites and 41 sales companies and cooperates with approximately 100 national partners worldwide. Lapp India operates through regional marketing units in Delhi, Kolkata, Mumbai, Pune, Bangalore and Chennai with 23 sales offices and a strong network of 100+ dealers throughout the country.
What is your vision for the LAPP India and how important will India be in LAPP' global expansion?
We believe in providing world class technology to our customers and are on the helm of innovation to cater to this requirement.
Post the completion of the Bhopal plant over a period of 5 years, LAPP India will become LAPP GROUP's largest facility globally. With this, LAPP INDIA, being the second largest segment within the LAPP family, is well poised to become the biggest player in the LAPP GROUP in a few years time.